While renewing my domain names, I stumbled upon the blog of the CEO of GODADDY.COM. You might remember them from the mega expensive super bowl adds they use to run with the good looking girls. This guy is like on of the most successfull CEOs around. He grew up poor in Baltimore where he dropped out of 5th grade. He did however join the military and get his high school equivilency and eventually earned a degree in accounting and taught himself how to program. His first company was Parsons Technologies that use to write accounting software and was sold to Intuit (Quicken). I use to work with this software in the 80’s when I was supporting accountants at SBHC. Now he does $40 million in revenues a year with GODADDY. His life formula as stated on his own blog is interesting:
1. Get and stay out of your comfort zone.
2. Never give up.
3. When you are ready to quit, you’re closer than you think.
4. Accept the worst possible outcome.
5. Focus on what you want to have happen.
6. Take things a day at a time.
7. Always be moving forward.
8. Be quick to decide.
9. Measure everything of significance.
10. Anything that is not managed will deteriorate.
11. Pay attention to your competitors, but pay more attention to what you’re doing.
12. Never let anybody push you around.
13. Never expect life to be fair.
14. Solve your own problems.
15. Don’t take yourself too seriously.
16. There’s always a reason to smile.
The guy even answers his own email….wow, my new hero.